Announcement No.: SP09192013-22
Position: Senior Programmer
Division/Department: Information Systems
Salary Range: $66,500 - $84,900
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Site: Arlington, VA
Work Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (not actual work hours)
Area of Consideration: All applicants
Opening Date: September 19, 2013
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Senior Programmer is responsible for the overall development of APA’s websites, eCommerce and business application systems architecture. Primary responsibilities include the development and integration of web applications, content integration, file management and website maintenance. Responsibilities also include programming and support for APA business systems and Salesforce (force.com) application development.
The Senior Programmer works with enterprise/solution architects on integration architecture, solution design, prototypes, development and unit testing for various web, eCommerce, business systems and Salesforce initiatives. The Senior Programmer collaborates with APA staff and management in the development of IT policies and procedures, communications concerning site organization, database and application documentation, development of business focused SOPs and retrieval of pertinent information from the site to end-users. The Senior Programmer will provide oversight and management of access protocols and Internet security and support the development of strategies for optimizing the use of web, eCommerce and customer relationship/association management software.
Responsible for the creation, implementation, and maintenance of the Association’s online applications
- Work with IT staff, business stakeholders and functional experts to define the requirements for development of new, or enhancement of existing, web applications; prepare design and specification documentation, data models, and alternative solution analysis; present design specifications and recommendations.
- Independently analyze, design, and program systems for critical APA business functional areas such as Membership, Publishing, Finance and Human Resources.
- Develop and implement applications and web services utilizing enterprise-level Association Management System database architecture and APIs.
- Work with management to estimate resource efforts for development and implementation of requested projects.
- Provide technical support for eCommerce, website and business system training.
- Perform research and development; keep management informed on application development technologies and methodologies; and upgrade existing applications accordingly. Continually review and update technical knowledge of development tools and trends.
- Maintain skills and share knowledge in several data processing languages and tools.
- Maintain a solid understanding of current hardware and software in the MIS environment.
- Apply technical concepts utilizing current hardware and software technologies to business needs.
- Identify and implement system operating efficiency improvements and recommend programming efficiencies.
- Comply with departmental processes including departmental change management processes.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of system and analysis techniques and concepts.
- Perform related duties as required.
Responsible for Salesforce.com development and the integration of Salesforce.com with APA business systems and application infrastructure
- Serve as primary technical lead and liaison with enterprise/solution architects on Salesforce application integration architecture, design and development.
- Lead Salesforce solution design, prototypes, development and unit testing for various Salesforce and force.com based initiatives.
- In partnership with business analysts and stakeholders, tailor solutions that meets business line needs through the use of JAD sessions. Implements solutions through a combination of Salesforce configuration and custom development on the Force.com platform.
- Work with Salesforce support, security, network and infrastructure teams to resolve critical issues. Author and maintain technical design documents.
- Manage the detailed design of technical solutions; document the technical design and manage the development, testing, and support cycles. An advanced understanding of relational database concepts with competency around SQL Server is necessary.
Plan, develop, and implement Website architecture
- Serve as primary technical lead for the identification, definition and implementation of user requirements related to website architecture. Coordinate overall site architecture, scripting and programming with appropriate APA staff.
- Establish and maintain appropriate directory trees on the Web server.
- Install and configure Web server software.
- Obtain and manage public/private key certificates for secure HTTPS transactions.
- Upload web page onto web sites and integrate multimedia and database applications.
- Generate timely reports as required by management.
- Program in industry standard Web applications and formatting tools.
- Integrate new technologies (add-ins and plug-ins) into the Web environment.
- Optimize the Web architecture for peak performance.
- Ensure the Association’s compliance with Section 508 and PCI standards.
- Maintain Information System Standard Operating Procedures, such as Disaster Recovery Procedure.
EXPERIENCE AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with at least 8 years minimum experience as a Web Application Developer / Software Engineer or equivalent work experience developing and implementing web applications; demonstrated ability to master new/evolving technologies. Strong communication skills required.
- Eight years’ experience developing and implementing web applications using ASP.net. Cold Fusion experience a plus.
- 3-5 years of experience with Salesforce.com development, including Apex classes and Triggers, VisualForce, force.com IDE, SOQL, SOSL.
- Advanced understanding of relational database concept such as SQL Server and experience with database design and application implementation using databases.
- Experience with server platforms and Web server software, networking, and security architecture and implementation
- Salesforce Developer Certification and other OOAD languages/database certifications are a plus
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) certification is a plus
- Demonstrated expertise on Architecture best practices, design patterns and design trade-offs on internet and cloud based platforms
- Knowledgeable on various SDLC processes
- Familiarity with standard Internet protocols and software with an ability to lead troubleshoot efforts for DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, SOAP, FTP, SMTP etc. issues.
- Familiarity with common Web languages and extensions as required (e.g., tables, frames, server-push/client-pull, server-side includes, etc.) as well as awareness of browser compatibility issues and Section 508 compliance.
- Working knowledge of graphics applications allowing full manipulation of files.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to produce Web pages following the Association’s style guide.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants must submit resume, cover letter with salary requirements.
RESUMES SUBMITTED FOR CONSIDERATION WILL NOT BE RETURNED TO THE APPLICANT. Employment will require a background check.
WHERE TO APPLY:
Via Email: HRAPPS@psych.org
Via Mail or Delivery: Office of Human Resources
American Psychiatric Association
1000 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209-9998
ATTN: Senior Programmer
Via Fax: (703) 907 - 1088
OFFICIAL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES ONLY
APA IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE