SUGGESTED QUESTIONS FOR YOUR SUPERVISORS
- Should I talk with my colleagues?
- How much should I reveal to them?
- Should I worry in my revelations to them or even the experience of losing future referrals, or their perception of me?
- How should I begin to address the suicide for myself?
- How is this going to effect my treatment with other patients?
- Is it best to try not to think about it and pretend it didn't happen? Or should I engage in an activity that would help me to learn from the experience? Or would that be too painful in reliving it again?
- Is it unrealistic to think that this will affect my career?
Questions about interacting w/ the family
- Should I contact family?
- If so what method should I use (phone, letters, even visit?).
- What should I say to the family (should I be supportive, explanatory?).
- What should I do if they accuse or blame me?
- How much should I reveal to them about my thoughts on what went wrong?
- What do I do if the family member needs urgent crisis management after I break the news?
- How much of what I say and how I say it impacts the chances for litigation?