Impact of Suicide on Practitioners
- Biermann B: When depression becomes terminal: the impact of patient suicide during residency. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry 31:443-457, 2003.
- *Brown HN: Patient suicide during residency training, I: incidence, implications, and program response. J Psychiatr Educ 11:201-216, 1987b.
- *Gitlin, MJ. A Psychiatrist's Reaction to a Patient's Suicide. American Journal of Psychiatry 156(10):1630-1634, 1999.
- *Havens, LL. The Anatomy of Suicide. New England Journal of Medicine 272:401-406, 1965.
- Hendin H, Haas AP, Maltsberger JT, et al: Factors contributing to therapists' distress after the suicide of a patient. Am J Psychiatry 161:1442-1446, 2004.
- Hendin H, Ligpschitz A, Maltsberger JT, et al: Therapists' reactions to patients' suicides. Am J Psychiatry 157:2022-2027, 2000.
- Kaye NS, Soreff SM. The psychiatrist's role, responses and responsibilities when a patient commits suicide. Am Journal of Psychiatry 148(6): 739-743, 1991.
- Litman RE: When patients commit suicide. Am J Psychother. 19:570-576, 1965.
- Lomax JW: A proposed curriculum on suicide care for psychiatry residency. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. 16(1): 56-64, 1986
- Misch, DA. When a Psychiatry Resident's Patient Commits Suicide: Transference Trials and Tribulations. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry 31(3):459-475, 2003.
- Perr, HM. Suicide and the doctor-patient relationship. American Journal of Psychoanalysis 18:177-188, 1968.
- Reeves, G. Terminal Mental Health: Resident Experience of Patient Suicide. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry 31(3):429-441, 2003.
- Sacks MH, Kibel HD, Cohen AM, et al: Resident response to patient suicide. J Psychiatr Educ 11:217-226, 1987.
- *Simon, RI and Hales, RE. Textbook of Suicide Assessment and Management. American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. Washington, DC., 2006.
Suicide Risk Assessment
- *American Psychiatric Association: Practice guidelines for the assessment and treatment of patients with suicidal behaviors. American Journal of Psychiatry 160(suppl):1-60, 2003.
- Bongar B, Maris RW, Bertram AL, et al: Outpatient standards of care and the suicidal patient. Suicide Life Threat Behav 22:453-478, 1992.
- Busch KA, Clark DC, Fawcett J, et al: Clinical features of inpatient suicide. Psychiatr Ann 23:256-262, 1993.
- Harris CE, Barraclough B: Suicide as an outcome for mental disorders. Br J Psychiatry 170:205-228, 1997.
- Jacobs DG, Brewer M, Klein-Benheim M: Suicide assessment: an overview and recommended protocol, in Guide to Suicide Assessment and Intervention. Edited by Jacobs DJ. San Francisco, CA, Jossey-Bass, 1999, pp3-39.
- Mann, JJ, Arango V: The neurobiology of suicidal behavior in Guide to Suicide Assessment and Intervention. Edited by Jacobs DJ. San Francisco, CA, Jossey-Bass, 1999, pp98-114.
- Mann, J.J. A current perspective of suicide and attempted suicide. Ann. Int. Med. 136:302-311, 2002.
- Oquendo MA, Halberstam, Mann JJ: Risk factors for suicidal behavior: the utility and limitations of research instruments, in Standardized Evaluation in Clinical Practice (Review of Psychiatry Series, Vol 22, No 2; Oldham JO and Riba MB, Series Editors). Edited by First MB. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Publishing, 2003, pp 103-130.
- Shaffer DA, Pfeffer CR, Bernet W, et al: Practice parameters for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with suicidal behavior. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 36(10), 1997.
- *Simon, RI and Hales, RE. Textbook of Suicide Assessment and Management. 2006. American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. Washington, DC.
* Denotes highly recommended resources